[R-sig-ME] UNSOLVED: Re: lme4 or other open source mixed model package code equivalent to asreml-R

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Thu Nov 17 23:56:54 CET 2011

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011, John Clark wrote:

> Thank you for mails. The questions is still open to suggestion. I have
> improved the description of the model. It is easier to do in stackoverflow
> to paste figures etc. Please find the improved question.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7961864/lme4-or-other-open-source-r-package-code-equivalent-to-asreml-r
>

> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Kevin Wright <kw.stat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have searched for many years for examples of fitting AR1xAR1 type models
>> with open-source software other than ASREML.  There are no such examples.
>> Only ASREML (and SAS PROC MIXED) can fit these models.

You might look at the regress and spatialCovariance packages of David
Clifford.  The former allows fitting of (Gaussian) mixed models where you
can specify the structure of the covariance matrix very flexibly (for
example, I have used it for pedigree data).  The spatialCovariance package
uses regress to provide more elaborate models than AR1xAR1, but may be
applicable.  You may have to correspond with the author about applying it
to your exact problem.

Just 2c, David Duffy.