[R-sig-ME] lme4 or other open source mixed model package code equivalent to asreml-R

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 21:11:49 CET 2011

Kevin Wright <kw.stat at ...> writes:

> I have searched for many years for examples of fitting AR1xAR1 type models
> with open-source software other than ASREML.  There are no such examples.
> Only ASREML (and SAS PROC MIXED) can fit these models.
>
> Kevin

  Has anyone contemplated writing a new corStruct() for (n)lme that
would handle this case?  It's not for the faint of heart, but I can
imagine it would be do-able.  If I were going to try this I would
actually start by looking at the corStruct examples in other packages
(ramps, ape: library("sos"); findFn("corStruct"), look at the results
and ignore those in package "nlme") ...

  Ben Bolker

> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 6:27 AM, John Clark <rosbreed.pba at ...> wrote:
>
> > Dear mixed model experts:
> >
> > I want to fit mixed model using lme4, I need something equivalent to the
> > asreml-R codes in lme4 or other free mixed model packages :

  [snip snip snip]