[R-sig-ME] valid estimates using lme4?

Dimitris Rizopoulos d.rizopoulos at erasmusmc.nl
Fri Oct 28 16:26:01 CEST 2011

I think the reviewer refers to the fact that the Laplace approximation
is equivalent to using the *adaptive* Gauss-Hermite rule with one
quadrature point.

I feel that he/she is right in pointing out that the Laplace
approximation may not always work satisfactorily for binary data (for
binomial data with more than one trials it would be a bit better), and
it would be therefore prudent to validate your results by fitting the
models with the adaptive Gauss-Hermite rule but with more than one
quadrature points. For this check argument 'nAGQ' of glmer().

I hope it helps.

Best,
Dimitris