[R-sig-ME] including the same variable both as fixed and as part of a complex random variable?

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Tue Oct 4 11:54:36 CEST 2011

Dear Hans,

I am assuming that labour.market.position (LMP) is continuous.

fit.1 and fit.2 are different. In fit 2, the fixed effect of LMP is the slope in an 'average' country. the random effect of LMP in then the difference in slope between a country and the 'average' country. In fit 1 you have no slope for an 'average' country (the slope = 0). So the random effect of LMP in fit 1 is the slope for each country.

in fit.1 and fit.2 you assume that there is no intercept, hence only a random slope along LMP per country.
in fit.3 you assume both a random slope along LMP and a random intercept AND you assume that the random slope and random intercept are independent.

Best regards,

Thierry