[R-sig-ME] contrasts in glmer

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 01:01:39 CET 2011

On 11-12-19 08:49 AM, Magalì Matteodo wrote:
> Dear Mr Bolker,
> I'm a master student in the Lausanne University and I'm doing the data
> analysis for my master thesis. I'm using the function glmer from package
> lme4 in R. It's from some days that I'm trying to understand the
> contrast option in the function but I don't come to a conclusion.

  This question would be more appropriate for
r-sig-mixed-models at r-project.org, or r-sig-ecology at r-project.org, or
even r-help at r-project.org .  Your question is not glmer-specific; I
found the answer by following the clues in the documentation, which lead
to ?lm and
thence to ?model.matrix.default:

contrasts.arg: A list, whose entries are values (numeric matrices or
          character strings naming functions) to be used as replacement
          values for the ‘contrasts’ replacement function and whose
          names are the names of columns of ‘data’ containing
          ‘factor’s.

  Thus, you would need

contrasts=list(Pollen_vector=contr.sum))

Alternatively, see ?options and search for "contrast"