[R-sig-ME] problems with allocate memory

cumuluss at web.de cumuluss at web.de
Sun Dec 18 22:17:29 CET 2011

Hi to everyone,

I have been trying to fit a glmm with a binomial error structure. My model is a little bit complex. I have 8 continuous predictor variables one of them as nonlinear term, 5 categorical predictor variables with some three-way interactions between them. Additional I have 3 random effects and one offset variable in the model. Number of obs is greater than 3million.
I’m working with the latest version of R 2.14.0 on a 64 bit windows system with 8Gb ram.
Everything I tried (reducing model complexity, different 64bit PC with even more memory) nothing leads to a fitted model, always the Error occurs: cannot allocate vector of size 2GB.
Is there anything I can do? I would be very grateful for any commentary.

Paul T.