[R-sig-ME] Mixed model and Singularity Error message

Antoine PACCARD antoine.paccard at unine.ch
Thu Dec 8 16:37:45 CET 2011

Dear Mix modelers,

I know that this topic has been discussed in the past but since I
cannot find any clear answer yet I am sending this message. I am
runing a simple mix model as:

m1 <- lme(fixed=trich~habitat*site*subsite*treatment, random=~1|fam/
id,data=data,na.action=na.exclude)

and I constantly find this error message:"singularity in backsolve at
level 0 block 1". I am not sure how to solve the problem. I noticed
that it arises only when the variable "subsite" is added.
For clarification, all of my fixed effects are factors (excluding
"trich")

Could anyone help me with that?

Many thanks,
Antoine