[R-sig-ME] Anova and random effects

Flores-de-Gracia, Eric eef201 at exeter.ac.uk
Thu Nov 17 01:18:23 CET 2011

Hi all

I am trying to fit an anova model with a random effect.

My model is:

aov(Devp.time~trt+Pair.ID+Error(trt/Pair.ID)  # trt is fixed effect and Pair.ID is my random effect.

The problem here is that I am interested in the interaction between trt and Pair.ID, but I am unsure if I am using the right syntax.

Besides when I try to get F and corresponding P values by using anova(model) an error comes in the way:

Error en UseMethod("anova") :
  no applicable method for 'anova' applied to an object of class "c('aovlist', 'listof')"

Sorry for more questions but my data is unbalanced (the amount of replicates per treatment are not the same) so according to what  I read, should be using Type III error to obtain my SS and then MS and F values, how can I do that?

thanks

Eric Flores De Gracia
School of Biosciences
University of Exeter, Cornwall Campus