[R-sig-ME] lme vs lme4

Jim Maas j.maas at uea.ac.uk
Thu Nov 3 11:49:55 CET 2011

Hello,

We are attempting to compare some results using lme and lme4.  I'm
relatively new to this so could well be asking questions that are overly
simplistic or naive, if so please inform.

We have an example that works with nlme(lme) and specifying the weights
as the function varConstPower, however when we try to do a slightly more
specific analysis using lme4(lmer) it doesn't seem to have the
varConstPower function built it.  Is in nonsensical to build it into
lme4?  It might well have some shortcomings/compromises. Is there a way
we could accomplish the same thing with lme4 via some R coding or any
other method?

All suggestions most welcome.

Thanks

Jim