[R-sig-ME] [Lme4-authors] error loading lme4 on R.2.13.2

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Oct 26 10:13:07 CEST 2011

[I allow myself to forward the reply to the R Mixed-models
 mailing list, so it is more easily found in search engines :
]

    > Hello.  I have just installed R.2.13.2 on a Mac, and when
    > I tried to load lme4 version 0.999375-40, I received the
    > following error: Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath =
    > DLLpath, ...) : function 'cholmod_l_start' not provided by
    > package 'Matrix' Error: package/namespace load failed for
    > 'lme4'

    > ------

    > The Matrix package loads fine.  Can you help?

You installed a new version of Matrix (at some time)
without *RE*-installing   lme4.
This has only been necessary this one time,
but it is a good idea to do from time to time anyway,
i.e. using something like

       update.packages(.., checkBuilt = TRUE)

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich