[R-sig-ME] problems with allocate memory

Andrew Robinson A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Dec 22 23:38:56 CET 2011

Hi Paul,

I apologize if this has already been discussed and rejected, but I
also echo an earlier suggestion of Douglas's that you should think
about working with a sample of your data instead of all of it.

Not knowing anything at all about your application :) I'd be very
surprised if you need ~4000000 observations to establish a meaningful
relationship, or to provide a model that develops high-quality
predictions.  I would try to fit the model on a systematic sample of
the data and then ask what would be gained from an increase to the
full dataset.  You might even try a model-averaging approach such as
is used in e.g. imputation; fit the  model ten times to a tenth of the
data and average the results.

Best wishes,

Andrew

--
Andrew Robinson
Deputy Director, ACERA

Forest Analytics with R (Springer, 2011)
http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/FAwR/
Introduction to Scientific Programming and Simulation using R (CRC, 2009):
http://www.ms.unimelb.edu.au/spuRs/