[R-sig-ME] glmmADMB error

Nathan Lemoine lemoine.nathan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 18:39:29 CET 2011

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this belongs here or on the R-SIG-MAC listserve. I'm
trying to run glmmADMB to analyze some data on my Mac that have been
collected over the past few years. The actual data itself is, I think,
unimportant for the issue I'm having. I've successfully installed the
glmmADMB package, but the function glmmadmb() does not run on my
computer. Here's the output I get from attempting to run glmmadmb():

library(glmmADMB)
model1.l<-glmmadmb(recruits~deer*weeds*use+(1|
age),family="nbinom",zeroInflation=TRUE,data=recruits)

dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Error in glmmadmb(recruits ~ deer, data = recruits) :
   The function maximizer failed

I'm not really sure what this error means, I've not seen anything like
it before. It doesn't appear to be an issue with R, but rather
something deeper. I've tried running the examples in the vignette,
I've tried zeroInflation=FALSE, family="poisson", and a number of
other options. I get the same error every time. I've done a little
digging, and it seems this is a common error message when older Mac
operating systems attempt to run software developed for newer versions
of OS X.

I'm running Max OS X 10.5.8, R v 2.13.2, and glmmADMB v 0.6.7.1. I'm
not sure if this version of glmmADMB was written for OS X 10.6, but
has anyone encountered this issue and found a fix for it? I've tried
several fixes, including those I found on this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/admb-users/browse_thread/thread/0df5779586e45b9b

but it appears that the files on that thread were compiled for OS X
10.6 and may still not be compatible with my OS.

I currently have a workaround for my data analysis that let's me
analyze the data, although it's less than satisfactory and I'd like to
give glmmADMB a try to see if it matches my workaround.

Thanks for any help you all can offer,

Nathan Lemoine