[R-sig-ME] Binomial vs. logistic regression & the consequences of aggregation

Jeremy Koster helixed2 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 21 23:56:26 CEST 2011

Thanks to Ben, Thomas, and David for the responses.  As usual, the explanations didn't really sink in until I experimented with different formulations of models.

Somewhat surprisingly, I discovered that lme4 can handle the following syntax for a dataset in which observations have been aggregated into rows by individuals (i.e., n = 100 rows):

smoking.aggregated <- glmer (cbind(smoking observations, total observations) ~ AGE + (1|Individual), family = binomial, data = aggregated)

which produces the same estimates of the intercept, AGE, and Individual-level variance as the following code, which refers to an unaggregated dataset of 5000 rows (100 individuals with 50 observations each), with a binary variable for smoking (or not):

smoking.unaggregated <- glmer (smoking ~ AGE + (1|Individual), family = binomial, data = unaggregated)

Where the models differ is the value for the log-likelihood (and AIC).  Considering that the estimates for covariates and random effects were identical in both models, my first guess was that lme4 was basically treating the aggregated data like an unaggregated dataset.

Why, then, does the log-likelihood differ (substantially)?  What are the implications for model selection, using AIC, for example?  Is it possible that one might choose different models depending on whether the data have been aggregated or not?