[R-sig-ME] non-linear mixed effects: polynomial

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 20 16:46:16 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Ben Bolker <bbolker at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/20/2011 04:22 AM, Gabriel Yvon-Durocher wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply Ben. I have 16 subjects, however the number of
>> observations per subject is not even, which is why I opted for nlmer
>> rather than nlme. I presumed nlmer (as is the case for lmer) would be
>> better at handling unbalanced designs.
>
>  No, nlme is also intended for unbalanced designs.
>
>  nlmer is likely to be (a) faster and (b) better for crossed designs,
> but otherwise I would stick (for the time being) to nlme.

I don't think you need either nlme or nlmer though, do you?  A
polynomial model is linear in the coefficients so this could be fit by
lmer.  Ben's caution about over-specification of the random-effects
variance-covariance model still applies to the linear mixed-effects
model, however.  You are trying to estimate 15 variance-covariance
parameters, for which you would need a great deal of data.