[R-sig-ME] MCMCglmm ordinal model

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Thu Aug 25 18:21:53 CEST 2011

Hi,

The coefficients are on the latent scale, which is the probit scale
not log scale.

You should end up with one fewer cutpoints than categories because all
cutpoints cannot be uniquely estimated with an intercept term in the
model. Essentially the first cutpoint is set to 0.  See
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.lme4.devel/3644

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting Frank Lawrence <cougar at psu.edu> on Wed, 24 Aug 2011 20:36:09 +0000:

> When I specify an ordinal single level model using MCMCglmm, part of
> the output includes estimates for the cut points for the response
> variable scale. Two questions:
> 1. Is the "post.mean" on the original ordinal scale or do the
> estimates need to be exponentiated like the coefficients?
> 2. Why do I occasionally wind up with fewer cut points than the
> number that existed on the observed variable?
> Frank Lawrence

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.