[R-sig-ME] Welch's ANOVA

Robert Kushler kushler at oakland.edu
Tue Aug 23 17:12:15 CEST 2011

There are (at least) two ways to think about rank-based tests:

(1) the null hypothesis is "equal medians" and you must assume all distributions
have the same shape (which includes constant variance).  The only thing you avoid
(compared to standard one-way ANOVA) is the normality assumption.

(2) the null hypothesis is "equal distributions" and the alternative is "they're
not all the same."  In other words, all the assumptions (aside from "independent
random samples," which is of course the most critical) become part of the hypothesis.

Regards,    Rob Kushler