[R-sig-ME] deterministic correlation of intercept and slope random effects

Martin Schmettow schmettow at web.de
Fri Aug 19 17:18:46 CEST 2011

MCMC? I thought that was dropped in current versions of lme4.
Instead I run the same model in MCMCglmm:

MCMCglmm(LR~ Culture+Perspective+Instruction+Culture:Perspective,
random=~us(1+Perspective):Subj,data=cardin, family="poisson")

This terminates with an error: "Error in MCMCglmm(LR ~ Culture + Perspective
+ Instruction +  :  ill-conditioned G/R structure: use proper priors if you
haven't or rescale data if you have"

If I change the random effects term to intercept only (random=~Subj) then it
runs smoothly, but gives somewhat different parameter estimates.

In my paper I write now:
" We can think of two reasons how this may happen: either the model is
over-parameterized or the numerical optimization is trapped in a local
maximum. To be on the safe side we decided to proceed by dropping the random
slope from the model."

Thanks everybody for the help. This was the first time for me to ask on this
list and I am very impressed by the quick and good responses.

CU, Martin.