[R-sig-ME] Estimating large variance-covariance matrices

Murray Jorgensen maj at waikato.ac.nz
Sat Aug 6 07:50:47 CEST 2011

I think I may have answered my own question. Package corpcor provides
shrinkage estimation of large variance/covariance matrices. This may not
seem to have much to do with mixed models but I think that shrinkage
only makes sense if you are thinking of parameters as random variables
in some sense.

Cheers,  Murray

--
Dr Murray Jorgensen      http://www.stats.waikato.ac.nz/Staff/maj.html
Department of Statistics, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand