[R-sig-ME] Matched-Pair Cluster Randomized Trials

Dennis Murphy djmuser at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 01:11:28 CEST 2011

Hi:

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Mathieu Maheu-Giroux
<mmaheugi at hsph.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to analyze data from a matched-pair cluster randomized trial.
> The group-level outcomes were analyzed using a random effect meta-analysis
> but I now want to investigate individual-level outcomes. I have used glmer
> to take into account the school clustering but I am unsure about the correct
> way to take into account the matching...

The treatments are assigned within pairs, where a pair can be thought
of as a block, so it would seem to me that you would want pair as a
(random) block effect in the model.  At this level, it's a completely
randomized block structure. After that, we would need to know the
nesting structure to offer any helpful advice. I'm no expert in this
particular application area, but the variation in sample sizes between
matched pairs indicates a weighting issue that needs to be addressed,
perhaps by suitable nesting or some other device, e.g,. average school
enrollment within pair as a covariate. As far as your model is
concerned, I would suggest starting with

glmer(Outcome ~ (1 | Pair) + Trt + (1 | SCHOOL) + <other terms that
correspond to nesting, etc.>, ...)

I assume you either have a pair variable or are capable of producing
one in your data.

(Side note: Blocks in experimental design are analogous to strata in
survey designs, nesting is analogous to subsampling in cluster
designs....just in case.)

HTH,
Dennis