[R-sig-ME] multicore lmer: any changes since 2007?

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Jul 6 19:51:51 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Ben Bolker <bbolker at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/06/2011 11:40 AM, Mike Lawrence wrote:
>> Thanks for the detailed reply.
>>
>> According to the comment by Joshua Ulrich (one of the DEoptim
>> developers) on this stackoverflow post
>> (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3759878/parallel-optimization-in-r),
>> it seems that DEoptim might be a parallel-izable optimizer, and as I
>> recall you can put box constraints on parameters with DEoptim. I just
>> sent off an email to the DEoptim developers to see if there's been any
>> progress on the parallel front.
>>
>> Mike
>
>  I have used differential evolution in the past (although not in
> decades (!!)), although not the DEoptim() package, but I don't think
> DEoptim() will be appropriate for this purpose.  I'm actually not
> entirely clear on what DB means by "parallel evaluation of the objective
> function".  In the simplest derivative-free case for example (the
> Nelder-Mead simplex), it's hard to see how one could evaluate the
> objective function in parallel because each evaluation changes the
> structure of the simplex and determines where the next evaluation should
> be.  A very quick look at BOBYQA (source code in the minqa package, or
> formal description at
> <http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/na/NA_papers/NA2009_06.pdf>) suggests
> the same one-point-at-a-time updating scheme.
>
>  But DB says
>
>>> In many cases you know several points where you will be
>>> evaluating the objective so you could split those
>>> off into different threads.
>
>  Since he has (probably literally) forgotten more about numerical
> computation than I ever knew, he's probably right, but I don't know of
> those examples.
>
>  Interesting discussion ...

You have done a better job of checking on the veracity of my
statements than I did.  I was thinking of cases where the gradient is
approximated by finite differences.  In many cases the number of
parameters in the optimization in lmer is small and you could do the
finite difference calculations in parallel.  However, you have looked
at the code, which is more than I did, and I will accept that neither
of the methods you mention permit you to spawn off multiple function
evaluations in parallel.

Regarding the differential evolution optimization, i agree with you
that it may not be best for this job.  Some perfunctory testing with
Dirk Eddelbuettel's implementation in the RcppDE package indicated
that it would end up taking longer than a classical optimizer based on
a local quadratic approximation.  I think DE is intended for more
difficult objective functions than those presented by lmer.