[R-sig-ME] R: Re: pMCMC and HPD in MCMCglmm

m.fenati at libero.it m.fenati at libero.it
Thu Aug 25 17:54:21 CEST 2011

Hi Jarrod,
In the past example, where HPD and pMCMC were slightly different, I tested an
extreme dataset: 1 positive event on 51 sample of 34 animals. In this
circumstance, even assuming not repeated data, the posterior distribution of
the sex beta coefficient MCMC estimates seems to suggest a possible effect of
“sex” on the response “dis”. But if I perform the analysis on the same dataset
under frequentist approach this fails (using glm for perfect separation) or
returns with high p-value (using aalysis of frequency table via fisher exact
test). See the following example:

sex<-c(rep("F",21),rep("M",30))
dis<-c(1,rep(0,50))
dat<-data.frame(sex,dis)
prior<-list(R=list(V=1,fix=1),G=list(G1=list(V=1,nu=0.002)),B=list(mu=c(rep
(0,2)),V=diag(2)*3+pi^2/3))
m.1<-MCMCglmm(dis~sex,slice=T,prior=priorS,data=dat,nitt=800000,thin=100,
burnin=250000,family="categorical",verbose=FALSE)
summary(m.1)

fisher.test(dat$dis,dat$sex)

summary(glm(dis~sex,data=dat,family=binomial))

How can I interpret the differences between Bayesian (MCMCglmm) and
Frequentist approaches in these circumstances?

Sorry for the basic question, but I am new in Bayesian world!

Thanks

Massimo

Massimo Fenati
DVM