[R-sig-ME] Putz Z in lmer

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sat Aug 20 15:32:29 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Eder David Borges da Silva
<eder at leg.ufpr.br> wrote:
> Dear group members
> Imagine a mixed model y = Xb + Zu + e, Xb = fixed, random = Zu, is possible
> in lme4: lmer declare the matrix of random effects for the adjustment??
> Is there a function that allows to adjust this model stating the matrix Z and
> X?

Not directly and, even if you could, it would not be sufficient to
specify Z - you also need to specify the form of the
variance-covariance matrix of the random effects and how it is
generated from the parameters to be optimized.

We do plan to provide facilities to do this in a future release.