[R-sig-ME] random effects models with small n

Felix Bach Felix_Bach at gmx.de
Sun Jun 19 15:12:00 CEST 2011

Yes, there are multiple measurements. However the literature says that the sample size of subjects need to have a certain size to make reliable inferences for fixed effects and an n of 8 per group is rather small. I would assume that the estimates of the covariance matrices are very unstable and even if the estimate is unbiased you would get a result which could not be generalised to the underlying population
Felix

-------- Original-Nachricht --------