[R-sig-ME] Jointly test multiple terms in a MCMCglmm model to be zero

Paul Johnson Paul.Johnson at glasgow.ac.uk
Wed Jun 15 15:44:26 CEST 2011

Hi Vincenzo,

I think best the way to choose between the two models with MCMCglmm is to compare DICs. There's a section in the MCMCglmm vignette on DIC.

set.seed(1234)

model.mcmc1 <- MCMCglmm(weight ~ Time + Diet + Time : Diet, data = BodyWeight, random= ~ Time, verbose=FALSE)

model.mcmc1$DIC
[1] 1750.806

model.mcmc2 <- MCMCglmm(weight ~ Time + Time : Diet, data = BodyWeight, random= ~ Time, verbose=FALSE)

model.mcmc2$DIC
[1] 1987.564

model.mcmc2$DIC - model.mcmc1$DIC
[1] 236.7585

The model with the main effect of Diet has much lower DIC so is much the better model. Although it seems odd to test for the Diet terms being zero while allowing the interaction between Diet and Time, which is effectively what you're doing here and in the lme and lmer examples.

For more guidance see Spiegelhalter et al. "Bayesian measures of model complexity and fit" (ref copied below):

"9.2.4. What is an important difference in DIC?
Burnham and Anderson (1998) suggested models receiving AIC within 1-2 of the 'best' deserve
consideration, and 3-7 have considerably less support: these rules of thumb appear to work
reasonably well for DIC. Certainly we would like to ensure that differences are not due to
Monte Carlo error: although this is straightforward for ¯D, Zhu and Carlin (2000) have explored
the difficulty of assessing the Monte Carlo error on DIC."

Paul

@article {RSSB:RSSB353,
author = {Spiegelhalter, David J. and Best, Nicola G. and Carlin, Bradley P. and Van Der Linde, Angelika},
title = {Bayesian measures of model complexity and fit},
journal = {Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series B (Statistical Methodology)},
volume = {64},
number = {4},
publisher = {Blackwell Publishers},
issn = {1467-9868},
url = {http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1467-9868.00353},
doi = {10.1111/1467-9868.00353},
pages = {583--639},
keywords = {Bayesian model comparison, Decision theory, Deviance information criterion, Effective number of parameters, Hierarchical models, Information theory, Leverage, Markov chain Monte Carlo methods, Model dimension},
year = {2002},
}