[R-sig-ME] Trouble fitting large nested models

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Tue May 31 21:13:28 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Robert Sandbach <rojosa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone.  This is my first time subscribing to and posting to any R
> mailing list, so I am unsure about protocols here.

Thanks for using this list

> Having said that, I have
> been working with my research professor on fitting multi-level models using
> school standardized test data.  We are looking to fit a model where student
> scores over time are nested within students, which are nested within
> teachers.  Additionally, we would like to include random effects on both the
> intercept and on the slope associated with time (in this case, grade
> level).  Unfortunately, the data is quite messy, and some students have just
> one teacher in a school, while other students have several teachers in a
> school.  The following model and analysis still seem run out of memory (or
> at least cause R to crash to a generic Windows "R has a problem and needs to
> close" window with no other error message on a fairly high-powered machine):

Can you tell us the number of observations, number of students and
number of teachers so we can get an idea of the size of the problem?

Also, can you send us the results of the R expressions

library(lme4)
sessionInfo()

as run on the machine that you are using to fit the model?

You definitely want to use a 64-bit operating system when trying to
fit such a model.