[R-sig-ME] R-sig-mixed-models Digest, Vol 53, Issue 26

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Tue May 24 20:53:46 CEST 2011

Comparing non-nested models is tricky. One approach is to use the LRT,
with model A as the null
and then with model B as the null. The problem is that the distribution
of the LRT is not
known in the non-nested case. Essentially you acn simulate from each
model to generate the null distribution.
A nice review of approaches is in
Fraser et al 2010. A unified approach to model selection using the
likelihood ratio test. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 2(2) 155-162

Nicholas