[R-sig-ME] various priors for MCMCglmm

Ned Dochtermann ned.dochtermann at gmail.com
Mon May 23 20:11:07 CEST 2011

So in going back over some of this it is clear that my understanding of nu
is still very much lacking, making the multivariate generalizations perhaps
inappropriate. Part of this seems to be that nu incorporates both "degree of
belief" and some aspects of the shape of the prior distribution, at least
for the inverse gamma.

Can anyone recommend some general texts that might clarify some of this?
Gelman and Hill (2006) seem to leave a lot of this out--at least based on my
skimming through it looking for discussion of priors.

Thanks,
Ned