[R-sig-ME] repeated measures: levels of grouping factor must be less than number of obs

Andrew Miles rstuff.miles at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 17:44:36 CEST 2011

Just to clarify, when you say repeated measures do you mean that you
have data from multiple individuals from the same family?  Or do you
mean that you have data on the same individuals across multiple time
points (ex. data from person one on Monday, and Tuesday, and
Wednesday, etc.)?  The latter is what is more traditionally referred
to as a repeated measures study; the first is simply clustering in the
data.

If the first (i.e. the clustered data), the model you have specified
is sufficient.  Specifically, it will estimate a variance component
that will tell you how much variation there is in y between family
groups.

Hope that helps.

Andrew Miles