[R-sig-ME] (no subject)

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Apr 7 15:44:18 CEST 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:59 AM, Lim Yonghao <oahgony at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try out lme4a.
>
> As for the error message, is there anywhere i can find out what it actually means?

The first thing to do is to add verbose=FALSE to your call to glmer.
That provides information about the iterations when optimizing the
deviance.  You will see that you have several parameters over which
the optimization is taking place and, apparently, some of those
parameters are being driven to extreme values so that a matrix that
should be positive definite is becoming close to singular.  That is
what the warnings from the cholmod code are about.

The later warning about false convergence is from the optimizer
itself, "nlminb" in this case.  You may, in fact, have gotten to the
mle's - it's just that nlminb is very cautious about declaring a
(locally) optimal value.

Possible remedies are to simplify the structure of the model.  A term
of the form (time1_18 + time2_18|id) requires estimation of 6
variance-covariance parameters, which may be causing an unstable
estimation situation.