[R-sig-ME] problem of convergence of simulated data

Jim Maas j.maas at uea.ac.uk
Mon Jun 27 16:10:13 CEST 2011

I've faced the same problem with fitting models before.  I'm simulating
different permutations of data sets, starting off with the baseline that
has almost no variance at all, hence it is difficult for the algorithm
to converge.  Having said that, the estimates will be more than adequate
if I could relax the convergence criteria even a little.  Is there a way
to do such with the lme procedure?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Error in lme.formula(nmalor ~ 0 + nmatr1 + nmatr3, ~1 | trtpair, data =
fednmadat,  :
   nlminb problem, convergence error code = 1
   message = singular convergence (7)

--
Dr. Jim Maas
University of East Anglia