[R-sig-ME] using cbind command for predictors in lmer models

Claudio De Sassi claudio.desassi at pg.canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Jun 26 06:10:29 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I'm new to R and not very stats proficient, so I apologize in advance!

I'd like to use PCA scores of a composition matrix as predictor in a lmer model, but I'm not sure this use is legitimate: here's what I've done:

Y<-cbind(score1,score2,score3,score4,score5)

model1<-lmer(abundance~factor1+factor2+Y+(1|random), family=poisson,REML=FALSE)

in terms of running the model, it all goes smooth and the result also make "biological sense", but I'm a bit out of my depth, and I wonder if this is a statistically correct/acceptable procedure?

many thanks
claudio

This email may be confidential and subject to legal privilege, it may
not reflect the views of the University of Canterbury, and it is not
guaranteed to be virus free. If you are not an intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message
and any attachments.

Please refer to http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/emaildisclaimer for more
information.