[R-sig-ME] Multi-response model to estimate Correlation

Ned Dochtermann ned.dochtermann at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 00:53:36 CEST 2011

Hi Xavier,

I'm far from an expert (to put it graciously) so it might be best to wait on
some of the heavy hitters but for the correlation you might consider
specifically estimating the posterior mode for the correlation. What you are
doing now is estimating the correlation from the posterior modes of the
covariance and two variances, which is slightly different. Hopefully someone
can weigh in on whether one is actually "better" than the other (as an
aside, it would be nice if you reported the unstandardized covariance and
variance posterior modes in addition to the correlation).

to return the correlation:
       posterior.mode(posterior.cor(multi3prior2yr $VCV[,1:4])[,2])

credibility interval:
       HPDinterval (posterior.cor(multi3prior2yr $VCV[,1:4])[,2])

Presumably the posterior.cor function effectively converts the covariance to
a correlation for each MCMC sample, from which you can then draw the
appropriate values. If your burn-in was sufficient and thinning appropriate
I doubt this makes too much of a difference but it may make a small one.

On the topic of priors, I don't know much and have had a very difficult time
finding approachable material on the topic. The MCMCglmm program seems to
also conflate the shape of the distribution with the "confidence" placed on
the distribution within a single parameter which makes it even harder for me
to follow. I started a thread awhile back listing out some prior
specifications I had gleaned from the listerv:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2011q2/006088.html
As you can see I had to back off the topic in the second post due to my
ignorance and unfortunately the topic wasn't picked up by others.

Good luck!
Ned

--
Ned Dochtermann