[R-sig-ME] had bad day finding lme4a. could one of you put a roadmap page somewhere?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 18:07:21 CEST 2011

Hi, everybody. I got a new computer and have to re-install stuff.  It
has been a drag.  Trouble with Debian Linux, Dell devices, kernel
conflicts with Sandy Bridge architecture.  I may be asking because I'm
already on the edge of madness.

I wonder if finding lme4a is supposed to be difficult.  Am I missing a
roadmap webpage somewhere? Check here

http://r-forge.r-project.org/

I search for lme4a in the groups menu at the top:

"No matches found for lme4a"

I do find a result for "lme4". However, on that page, I don't find lme4a.

I googled a while, starting to think this new pc was really a mistake.

Eventually, I found an email from Doug B that gave the recipe, so I
think I have found the source code.

 install.packages(c("lme4a","Matrix"), repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")

I cannot compile it, however, because of a problem in my "toolchain"
that I need to work out. I'll work it out. I've got too many
generations of compilers floating about.  The newest gcc 4.6 split out
libquadmath.so, and  But somehow my g++ doesn't know how to link with
it.  But I've seen plenty of these things before.

g++ -shared -o minqa.so altmov.o bigden.o biglag.o bobyqa.o bobyqb.o
lagmax.o minqa.o newuoa.o newuob.o prelim.o rescue.o trsapp.o trsbox.o
trstep.o uobyqa.o uobyqb.o update.o updatebobyqa.o
-L/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/Rcpp/lib -lRcpp
-Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/Rcpp/lib -lgfortran -lm
-lquadmath -L/usr/lib64/R/lib -lR
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgfortran
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lquadmath
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [minqa.so] Error 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘minqa’
* removing ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/minqa’
* installing *source* package ‘MatrixModels’ ...

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science