[R-sig-ME] Basic file management -- How to write.table of ranef()

Jeremy Koster helixed2 at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 21:01:43 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Apologies for asking such a simple question, but I have been trying to use write.table to export the random-effect intercept estimates for a straightforward two-level varying-intercept model using lme4.

For instance, after estimating the model, this code produces a list of the estimated intercepts:

ranef(full.model)

Then I assign those estimates to an object:

random.intercepts <- ranef(full.model)

Whenever I try to use write.table to export those estimates, however, I get an error message that the object cannot be coerced into a data frame.

File management is clearly not my strong suit, but am I assuming correctly that there should be a relatively painless way of accomplishing this?  Any suggestions?

Thanks!