[R-sig-ME] Is BLUP a good thing?

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 6 20:11:48 CEST 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Dominick Samperi <djsamperi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I should add that I personally think the BLUP is a good thing!
>
> Why? Because it provides a beautiful link between two topics
> that should be of interest to readers of this list: hypothesis
> testing and smoothing spline fitting. For the smoothing spline
> connection see Terry Speed's comments that follow Robinson (1991).
>
> Indeed, in a smoothing spline context there is much less confusion
> about what is a fixed effect and what is a random effect. The fixed
> effects are the coefficients of the finite dimensional kernel of the
> smoothing operator, for example.
>
> Of course, the common denominator here is the fact that
> a penalized objective (leading to BLUP's) appears in both
> subject areas.

The connection has not escaped my notice.  For over a decade I had the
office next to Grace Wahba and the smoothing spline view kind of oozed
through the wall.

This is one of the reasons that I view the intermediate calculations
in linear and generalized linear mixed-models as penalized least
squares or penalized iteratively reweighted least squares.  Most books
and most software for fitting such models relies on a generalized
least squares approach but to me it is much more effective to view
this as a penalized problem.