[R-sig-ME] Is BLUP a good thing?

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 02:07:46 CEST 2011

I should add that I personally think the BLUP is a good thing!

Why? Because it provides a beautiful link between two topics
that should be of interest to readers of this list: hypothesis
testing and smoothing spline fitting. For the smoothing spline
connection see Terry Speed's comments that follow Robinson (1991).

Indeed, in a smoothing spline context there is much less confusion
about what is a fixed effect and what is a random effect. The fixed
effects are the coefficients of the finite dimensional kernel of the
smoothing operator, for example.

Of course, the common denominator here is the fact that
a penalized objective (leading to BLUP's) appears in both
subject areas.

Dominick