[R-sig-ME] lmer and p-values (variable selection)

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Tue Mar 29 00:15:55 CEST 2011

A slightly more accommodating position is that some selection
may be acceptable if it makes little difference to the magnitudes of
parameter estimates and to the interpretations that can be placed
upon them.  [Since writing this, I notice that Ben has now posted a
message that makes broadly similar follow-up points.]

The usual interpretations of p-values assume, among other things,
a known model.  This assumption is invalidated if there has been
some element of backward elimination or other element of variable
selection.  Following variable selection, the p-value is no longer,
strictly, a valid p-value.

Elimination of a term with a p-value greater than say 0.15 or 0.2 is
however likely to make little differences to estimates of other terms
in the model.  Thus, it may be a reasonable way to proceed.  For
this purpose, an anti-conservative (smaller than it should be)
p-value will usually serve the purpose.

Nowadays it is of course relatively easy to do a simulation that will
check the effect of a particular variable elimination/selection strategy.
If there is some use of variable elimination/selection, and anything of
consequence hangs on the results, this should surely be standard
practice.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm