[R-sig-ME] Basic question confidence intervals glmer

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 24 17:31:29 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Phillip Chapman
<pchapman at stat.colostate.edu> wrote:
> Does the "confint-MASS" function from the MASS library do the profile
> likelihood confidence interval you are recommending?  From the documentation
> it appears to.  I just upgraded to R version 2.12.2.  In the previous
> version of R it was just called "confint", but apparently it was changed to
> avoid confusion.

Before you can create confidence intervals from the profiled deviance
you need to profile the deviance.  Profiling for the parameters in a
linear mixed-effects model is available in the development version of
lme4, currently called lme4a, but not for generalized linear mixed
models.