[R-sig-ME] DF in lme

Ben Ward benjamin.ward at bathspa.org
Fri Mar 18 05:01:09 CET 2011

On 17/03/2011 20:51, Ben Bolker wrote:
> On 03/17/2011 04:36 PM, Ben Ward wrote:
>> On 17/03/2011 17:43, Ben Bolker wrote:
>>>     [cc'd back to r-sig-mixed models: **please** keep the conversation
>>> going in the public forum!]
>> Aplogies, I didn't notice the cc had dissapeared.

>>>      If the data are balanced, then the classical inference based on the
>>> averaged data is the same as that based on the nested model.  In some
>>> sense, you don't "really" have more than 10 independent data points for
>>> testing the hypothesis of differences among differences among groups
>>> (although each of those data points might be fairly precise because of
>>> all the subsampling you have done).  The other advantage is that you now
>>> have the simple equivalent of a one-way ANOVA: if you are worried about
>>> normality, you can fit a robust linear model, or a rank-based test
>>> (Wilcoxon etc.), or do a permutation test.
>>>
>> I understand what you say about me actually only having in effect 10
>> datapoints either way. When you say "
>>
>> (although each of those data points might be fairly precise because of
>> all the subsampling you have done)"
>>

>> Do you mean that those "in effect" 10 datapoints in the mixed model
>> would be more accurate, than the averaged values and a normal
>> anova/t.test/permutation test?
>> Or just in general my 10 datapoints are pretty accurate because of the
>> subsampling - that they're both as accurate either way?
>    The latter.
>
>> I suppose that
>> doing a non-parametric test on the averaged values, deals with
>> inequalities of variance too, where in the mixed model I'd perhaps try
>> some weighting option.
>   Not necessarily: see
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mann%E2%80%93Whitney_U>: "Under the null
> hypothesis the distributions of both groups are equal"; so you could in
> principle reject the null distribution because their distributions were
> different (e.g. different variance, skew), even if their location
> parameters (mean/median/etc) were the same.  (But see farther down on
> the page, "Different distributions" for more nuanced interpretations)
>

>> T-tests and Permutation tests agree on estmates
>> and p-values, Wilcocxon seemed a long way off from them. R^2 values in
>> my mixed model are lower than in the anova, but then I understand R^2 is
>> not the best measure, so all in all, I'm not too worried about the
>> normality. Depending on what you meant about
>>
>> (although each of those data points might be fairly precise because of
>> all the subsampling you have done)"
>>
>> I'm considering the permutation test with the 10 datapoints, over the
>> mixed model with many, if the points however for the mixed model are
>> more accurate than the 10, I'll keep the mixed model.
>    I'd go with the permutation test for convincing readers/reviewers that
> the results were robust; however, at least at some point you might be
> interested in saying something about the biological meaning of the
> among-lineage variance ...

Thanks you very much for your help, it's helped develop my understanding
a lot. As a final query to everyone, not really a problem, just out of
academic interest for the future, I was reading about weight structures
in mixed models, but noticed the examples were with continuous
variables, not factors, I saw on the net use of groupVar() which might
be more suitable, but whenI tried it it couldn't find the function, so I
figured it may be part of a different package, although I couldn't find
mention of which one when I googled it, if anyone doesen't mind, I'd
like to find out.

Thank you all,
Ben W.