[R-sig-ME] aov() -> lme() conversion difficulty

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 21:29:56 CET 2011

  [cc'ing back to r-sig-mixed: it's generally a good idea to keep the
list "in the loop"]

On 11-03-16 12:12 PM, Brian Edward wrote:
> Thank you, I am sorry the tables got messed up. It was due to the
> Html->Text conversion.
>
> The hit-score is an integer between 0 and 10, so its not a 0/1 binary
> outcome but a linear score each time (I guess the binomial wont work here)

  Binomial will exactly work here.

> I know there might not be any big differences in between individuals
> (for this dataset), but each individual in my sample is scored 10 times
> with one eye and 10 times with two eyes used, so I dont think I can do
> the paired t-test. I also noted that the distribution of scores in not
> normally distributed (in the population) but I ignore the fact because I
> have no idea how to do that without a much more complicated model
> (bootstrapping etc.)

  Unless there is something non-exchangeable about the individual tests
(e.g. you think the probability of a hit might depend on the sequence of
the test), then I don't see why you can't do the paired t-test: that is,
calculate the differences per individual in the number of two-eye and
one-eye successes and do a t test against a population mean of zero.
The t-test is reasonably robust to non-normality.  You could also do a
paired Wilcoxon test (?wilcox.test).

> The NumEyesUsed p-value for my lme is 0.3217 and for the equivalent aov
> it is 0.1772. So the actual question is if my conversion was totally wrong:
>
> i.e
>
> anova(lme(Hits~NumEyesUsed, random=~1|PersonID/NumEyesUsed,data=y))
> <totally different>

  Hits ~ b_i + eps_person + eps_(person:numeyes) + eps_resid

  where the first term is the fixed effect of number of eyes,
the second is the among-subject effect, the third is the
among-tests-within-subject effect, and the the fourth is residual variation
(I'm still not sure if you're using total number of hits per person/eye
combination as your data (0-10), or whether you're using success on a
particular trial (0/1).  If the latter, you're violating normality
pretty badly.  If the former, then the third and fourth terms above are
completely confounded [as I suggested based on your zero residual error].)

> summary(aov(Hits~NumEyesUsed+Error(PersonID/NumEyesUsed),data=y))
>
> in the lme model you suggest:
>
> random=~NumEyesUsed|PersonID

  This is actually a slightly more complicated model, because it allows
for different variances in the success with one vs two eyes.