[R-sig-ME] Help with script for adding X and Y coordinates into a correlation formula

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Mar 16 18:02:09 CET 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 08:07 -0600, Douglas Bates wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 4:15 AM, Karen Moore <kmoore at tcd.ie> wrote:
> > Thanks for getting back to me. Do you mean that I'm incorrect in adding
> > random factor AND trying to add correlation structure??
>
> It's the nature of a generalized linear model or generalized linear
> mixed model.  When the distribution of the response is multivariate
> Gaussian you can model the mean and the variance-covariance structure
> separately.  For other distributions, like a Bernoulli or binomial or
> Poisson you can't.  Once you have specified the mean you have
> specified the entire distribution.

Dear Doug, fellow mixed modellers,

> For spatial structure one approach is to incorporate the spatial
> correlation into the Gaussian distribution of the random effects where
> you define one random effect per location.

Would the same approach apply to time series - one random effect per
time point? What sort of covariance structure would that fit - a
correlation between each time point?

I'm quite interested in this but, if the above hasn't given it away, I'm
not particularly as au fait with my mixed modelling knowledge as I
probably should be. I deal a lot with environmental time series for
which a Gamma mixed model would be a natural way to handle the data -
but the problem is the temporal autocorrelation.

With lme() we could fit on a log scale and use corStruct() objects, and
via glmmPQL() we could do the computations for non-Gaussian models and
include smooth terms via gamm(). Would I be misunderstanding you Doug if
I took your comments to mean fitting a GLMM or GAMM with a corStruct()
object for argument correlation in lme() is inappropriate?

Thanks in advance,