[R-sig-ME] Bug report for lme

Michal Figurski figurski at mail.med.upenn.edu
Mon Mar 14 14:34:03 CET 2011

Douglas,

It seems that I didn't make myself entirely clear, so here are a few
clarifications. I also attach some data and a reproducible example that
crashes R -  at least on my machine.

Clarifications:
  - "hundreds of lines" - this was actually just one line in R output.
This was part of the error message. I selected it and pasted into the
email body, and it got converted to multiple lines... I agree this is
unlikely to be helpful, though I was not sure, so I pasted the entire
error message.
  - formula with 'paste()' is not a problem to me - I use it daily and
it always works. Though for your convenience, in the attached code I
used explicit formula - the outcome is unfortunately the same.
  - my .RData file is not corrupt and R starts normally. It only crashes
after I run the problem code.

The code to reproduce the error:

# ******************************************************************* #
# Working example to reproduce crash
library(lme4)

# Read the data in - replace path with your path
b      <- read.csv("crash-example.csv")
b$Aliq <- factor(b$Aliq)
b$SPL  <- factor(b$SPL)

# 1st example, to show that it works - on a selected set of data
# It takes a few moments, but it works - at least it doesn't crash R:
bb  <- b[b$SPL %in% unique(b$SPL[b$Plate=="TRT1"]),]
b.1 <- lmer(Conc~SPL + (SPL|Plate:Aliq)-1, data=bb)

# 2nd example - it takes only a few seconds and R crashes:
# R-version 2.12.2 on Win7 64bit
# Package lme4 version 0.999375-39
# Previously, when used in R 2.11.1 with lme4 version 0.999375-35,
# I got the error that I pasted in the message before, but the R
# did not crash.
b.2 <- lmer(Conc~SPL + (SPL|Plate:Aliq)-1, data=b)

Kind regards,

--
Michal J. Figurski, PhD
HUP, Pathology & Laboratory Medicine