[R-sig-ME] Kin selection and mixed models

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Mon Mar 7 19:09:38 CET 2011

Hi,

Quantitative genetic models are linear mixed models, and there are
plenty of derivations of Hamilton's rule in terms of quantitative
genetics.  A good start is David Queller's work in the early 1990's,
Steve Frank's book "Foundations of Social Selection" and Andy
Gardner's 2007 paper in Am. Nat. to name but a few. Recent work by
Bijma's is probably more accessible if you are familiar with mixed
model methodology.  This is just the tip of the iceberg .....

Cheers,

Jarrod

On 7 Mar 2011, at 17:40, Dominick Samperi wrote:

> As a mathematician (but not an expert on mixed effects models) it
> seems to me
> that the Price equation from kin selection is a tautology, yet I
> suspect that when
> combined with biological intuition and mixed effects modeling ideas
> there should
> be a non-trivial message. Can somebody with the necessary background
> shed
> an inter-disciplinary light on this message or point me to
> references that do?
>
> Has there been any recent work using mixed effects models on kin
> selection,
> Hamilton's rule, etc.?
>
> Thanks,
> Dominick

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.