[R-sig-ME] glmer overdispersion correction, family = binomial

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Fri Mar 4 06:50:05 CET 2011

My comments related to the model with the observation level random
effects.  It is the rdf divisor for this model that is too small.  (The rdf will
also be somewhat small for a random effects model model that does
not have observation level random effects, but the bias will be much
smaller.)  It is the residuals in the model with the observation level
random effects that
"are constrained by the model to have magnitudes that are consistent
with this theoretical variance that equals 1."
All variance that is not otherwise accounted for is gathered up by the
observation level random effects.  You do not have evidence that
"the fix was overkill".

The dispersion estimate for the observation level random effects
model will certainly not tell you anything about possible overdisperion.
I suppose that if you had a model that was under-dispersed before
adding the observation level random effects, you might (if you could
work out some sensible way to calculate rdf) get a dispersion estimate
that was less than 1.  But, in that case, you would not want to fit the
observation level random effects in the first place.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm