[R-sig-ME] Fwd: Re: [R] ANOVA and Pseudoreplication in R

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Sun Feb 27 23:24:12 CET 2011

[If in an experimental design treatments are applied to whole plots,
while observations are made for an equal number of subplots in
each plot, then a standard analysis based on plot means is exactly
equivalent to an analysis that has a random plot effect.  If  the number
of subplots per plot is not too unequal, then the two analyses will
be pretty much equivalent.  Or issues of heterogeneity of variance
may make differences in numbers of subplots per plots an issue
of more minor consequence.]

[These considerations apply far more widely.  Taking plot or suchlike
means may greatly simplify the calculations.  Or use of a summary
statistic other than the mean, maybe the median, may sometimes be
appropriate.  So I do not think it quite accurate to describe the idea
of taking means, in circumstances not unlike Ben's, as baloney!]

In Ben's case, taking means for the disks, but checking that the mean
really is the appropriate summary statistic, is an entirely reasonable
way to proceed.  That leads to a simplified data set for the further
analysis.

I have sympathy for Ben's difficulty in giving a description that is
clear and complete enough to allow sensible advice.  In a project
that has some element of novelty, the design parameters are typically
not well enough understood to give cogent reasons for choosing one
design rather than another.  Even with the best available sources of
advice, the first experiment should usually be treated as to a greater
or smaller extent exploratory.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm