[R-sig-ME] Fwd: Interpretation of lmer output in R

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 24 19:34:17 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 7:23 AM, Thilo Kellermann
<thilo.kellermann at rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Dear Thierry, Ben, Douglas, Julia and list :-)

> sorry for mixing in with another (maybe stupid) question, but Julia's
> result of the likelihood-ratio-test (LRT) reveals a confusion I came
> across with my own data: The test states that the two models differ
> significantly from each other, and in Pinheiro & Bates (2000) I read
> that I should (or at least can) prefer the model with the lower AIC or
> BIC value.

> In Julia's model comparison it happens that these values seem to be
> inconsistent, since the AIC "prefers" model fd whereas the BIC "prefers"
> model fd1 (see below). As mentioned above I observed similar results
> with my own data (using lme) which rendered the LRT inconclusive to
> me...?

Not an uncommon situation.  Generally AIC is more liberal that BIC in
allowing for more terms in the model.  The AIC criterion penalizes
each additional parameter by two units on the deviance scale.  That
is, an additional parameter must reduce the deviance by at least two
units to be able to reduce the AIC.  BIC is more conservative in that
it requires each additional parameter to reduce the deviance by log(n)
units where n is the number of observations.

If I have nested models, as these are, I prefer the likelihood ratio
test rather than AIC or BIC comparisons.  I regard these "2 units per
parameter" or "log(n) units per parameter" as somewhat arbitrary.  Of
course the likelihood ratio test on a single parameter gives a p-value
less than 5% when the change in the deviance is greater than

> qchisq(0.95, df=1)
[1] 3.841459

so it is rather arbitrary too.  Nonetheless I prefer to put the change
in the deviance on a probability scale where I think I can interpret
it more meaningfully.