[R-sig-ME] Difference lme4 and nlme

Andrzej Galecki agalecki at umich.edu
Wed Feb 23 22:03:22 CET 2011

Hello Daniel,

RE your statement:

"So, I take this opportunity to inform that scripts of "Linear Mixed
Models: A Practical Guide Using Statistical Software" by Brady et al;
perhaps are wrong. Scripts can be found at
(http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bwest/chapter4.html)"

Scripts  on Brady West's website,  first author of the book, are correct.

In Chapter 4 of our book, we consider models with classid (classes)
nested within schoolid (schools)

The following examples of syntaxes  can be used in lmer() formula to
specify nested effects:

1a.   (1 | schoolid) + (1 | schoolid:classid)
   b.   (1 + z1 | schoolid) + (1 | schoolid:classid)

2.   (1 | schoolid)  + (1 | classid)

3.   (1 | schoolid/classid)

re 1. This is the most general syntax. It works regardless, whether we
define factors using "implicit nesting" or not.  It also allows
         for models similar to (1b) with different sets of random
effects for schools and classes.

re 2. This is a simplified syntax used on Brady's website. It works,
only because classid is  sensibly coded as explicitly nested within
schoolid.  Models similar to (1b) can also be accommodated using this
syntax.

re 3 This syntax  expands to syntax 1a. It works, regardless, whether we
use "implicit nesting" of factors or not.  Models similar  to
(1b) can not be accommodated.

Thank you,

Andrzej