[R-sig-ME] Interpretation of lmer output in R

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 04:40:36 CET 2011

On 11-02-20 11:00 PM, Gustaf Granath wrote:
>>   [I had started to answer this when Doug's answer came through, so I
>> will interleave my answers where they expand or differ ...]

>>   If you have a reasonably thorough understanding of both linear mixed
>> models (LMMs) and generalized linear models (GLMs) you can usually
>> triangulate to get a good idea of what GLMMs are doing.  I would
>> strongly recommend Zuur et al's book on mixed models: I don't agree with
>> absolutely everything says, but it's the most accessible treatment for
>> ecologists that I have seen.  Faraway 2006 is pretty good too (although
>> Zuur covers many more of the complexities that ecologists end up dealing
>> with).

>>    Yes, although even the likelihood ratio test (although better than
>> the default Wald test printed by summary()) is an approximation based on
>> large sample sizes; if you're interested in seeing the effect of this
>> approximation, you can try the methods shown in the examples of the
>> "simulate-mer" help page on the latest release of lme4 (should be on
>> CRAN now)
>
> Ok. So LRT is considered the most appropriate method at the moment? It
> seems like Wald was the suggested method in your TREE paper (2009), or
> have I missed something?
> Is Wald considered less conservative? Although I get slightly higher
> P-values with Wald compared to LRT (Poisson, no overdispersion, rather
> big sample size).

   I think it was a little bit of a counsel of desperation.  We have
demonstrated examples where the LRT is dicey; we don't have quite such
clear evidence of the Wald test being dicey (rather, we do, but for
different reasons).  I'd really like to suggest that people use
parametric bootstrapping or something MCMC-based in cases where the p
value really matters ...  Even if the Kenward-Roger or Satterthwaite
approximations were implemented for lme4, they only technically apply to
LMMs, not GLMMs.  The analogy *might* hold but would be pretty scary.

  cheers
    Ben