[R-sig-ME] p-values vs likelihood ratios

Rubén Roa rroa at azti.es
Mon Feb 21 15:18:43 CET 2011

I would think that an improved predictive ability in a model with an effect as compared to the same ability of a model w/o the said effect, is evidence for the predictive ability of that effect, conditional on not being able to formulate the true model.

>    If one is really trying to test for "evidence of an
> effect" I see nothing wrong with a p-value stated on the
> basis of the null distribution of deviance differences
> between a full and a reduced model

Probably the wrong part is that calculating p-values entails going back to the sample space, making the inference not fully conditional on the current sample, whereas when using the AIC to compare the models, the inferential statements are fully conditional on the current sample.

[respectfully snipping some interesting afterthoughts by BB]

I remember George Barnard wrote somenthing insightful about this, something like "Probabilities are useful before an experiment is carried out, when we are surveying possible results that might be obtained, but once the sample has been obtained, there is no point in continuing to think about probabilities; at this point our statements have to be couched in terms of likelihood" . It was in his 1951 paper in the JRSS and the quote is from memory so it is guaranteed to be inaccurate. Pratt also wrote something cool about this when commenting a book by Lehman.

Rubén