[R-sig-ME] CR Henderson

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 21:58:02 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 5:39 AM, Jarrod Hadfield <j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Larry Schaeffer  has made available CR Henderson's (the man that invented
> the mixed-model) 1984 book on-line at
>  http://cgil.uoguelph.ca/pub/Henderson.html for those interested. The
> emphasis of the book is on the animal model and related models, but a great
> deal of general mixed model theory is also covered.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jarrod

This is very interesting, thanks. Can you recommend a quick survey that relates
this to modern mixed effects modelling techniques, preferably using R? The
best survey that I have found so far is G.K. Robinson, "That BLUP is
a Good Thing: The Estimation of Random Effects," but there is no
discussion of software there.

I am particularly interested to know if this subject area has anything to say
about risk management (in finance and insurance, say), or if it is primarily
concerned with classification, heritability, and related notions.

Thanks,
Dominick